Black Mold in Attic

Mold is a living organism that is generally harmless most of the time. However, under certain conditions when moisture or humidity is present in closed, dark environment, mold becomes one of the most damaging threats to your property. This is especially true of black mold in attic and walls that does more than just damage your home, office, or facility. It can affect the health of those who live or work inside.

What is Black Mold?

Black mold is a micro fungus that is sometimes found in grain or soil. However, it is most commonly found in materials from water-damaged structures such as residences and businesses. Buildings that contain a considerable amount of cellulose-rich materials such as wood are especially vulnerable to having black mold form when wet.

Black mold differs from most varieties of mold for three reasons.

  • Dark Color
  • Slow Growing
  • Often Contains Toxins

It should be noted that not all black mold contains toxins. In addition, this type of mold is relatively rare because other, toxin-free forms of mold grow faster and therefore not allow the black mold to exist for very long. However, if it is present in the home or business and contains toxins, then it becomes a dangerous threat to the health of those who may be exposed.

Health problems in humans and animals have been documented since the 1930s. Sometimes called “sick building syndrome”, the mold itself causes pulmonary issues in adults and children. In rare cases, exposure to the black mold may be deadly. One case in 1994 identified several infants in Cleveland with having died due at least in part to exposure to black mold.

However, while deaths in humans and pets have occurred, it is relatively rare. The greater danger is the weakening of the pulmonary system when the mold enters the lungs. This makes the victim more vulnerable to respiratory issues, especially those who have conditions such as asthma.

How to Remove It

While mold itself is relatively harmless when exposure is limited, black mold contains toxins that may be breathed in even if there is no direct contact. This makes removing black mold a hazardous proposition since any exposure carries with it considerable risk.

That is why hiring a professional company that has experience in removing black mold is recommended. They have the knowledge, experience, and equipment to identify and remove the mold while minimizing the danger to those who may live or work inside. It takes special care to remove the black mold without the toxins causing further damage to the property. This is why it is recommended that only a professional company with experience should do the job.

If you have black mold in attic, walls, or other locations on your property, it needs to be removed as quickly as possible. This means contacting a professional, reputable company that specializes in removal of black mold. Remember, the longer you delay in having the black mold removed, the greater the danger to the health of you, your family, and anyone who is exposed.

Black Mold in Attic

Black Mold in Attic