YOU HAVE MOLD!

YOU HAVE MOLD!

YOU HAVE MOLD!

Westchester NY Mold Removal Company

Nothing can strike fear into a homeowner’s heart as powerfully as the words “you have mold.” Mold troubles in your home can cause health troubles for you and your family.  Mold occurs everywhere in nature, but when mold begins growing indoors, it can cause respiratory problems for those living there.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say that mold can cause reactions that range from mild (stuffy nose, itchy eyes or skin irritation) to severe (fever, shortness of breath and chronic lung ailments). In extreme cases, the mold can even infect a person’s lungs. Studies have also suggested a link between mold exposure and the development of asthma in young children, the CDC notes.

Mold and Moisture

So what causes mold to take hold in your home? In a word: moisture.

Mold spores are everywhere, and when they land on a damp surface they will begin to grow. That means mold tends to grow in areas of your home that are more humid, such as in the bathroom, a basement, the kitchen or garage. Mold can also grow in hidden places, such as between walls where a water leak has gone undetected for some time.

Managing moisture

In addition to monitoring your home regularly to catch plumbing or roof leaks quickly, improving ventilation can help control moisture and improve overall indoor air quality.

“Places that are often or always damp can be hard to maintain completely free of mold,” the EPA notes. “If there’s some mold in the shower or elsewhere in the bathroom that seems to reappear, increasing ventilation (running a fan or opening a window) and cleaning more frequently will usually prevent mold from recurring, or at least keep the mold to a minimum.”

Removing mold

If you discover mold in your home, it’s important to remove it quickly, even if it just seems like a small amount growing in the corner of the shower. More severe infestations that affect drywall, wood or other parts of the home’s structure will likely need to be handled by a professional.

If mold has damaged parts of your home, remove and replace those parts. Monitor humidity levels in your home and make sure all rooms have adequate ventilation.

The CDC recommends home-owners take steps to prevent future mold growth, such as using an air conditioner and dehumidifier during humid months.  If you aren’t sure you have mold or don’t think you can remove it yourself call Fresh Maintenance at 866 543-3257

2013-07-17T18:54:06+00:00 July 17th, 2013|Uncategorized|
Call Us Now!