Is it Mold or Mildew? 866 543-3257 Westchester Bergen Rockland Fairfield

Is it mold or mildew

Is it Mold or is it Mildew?

Is it Mold or Mildew? Mold is a fuzzy growth on moist organic matter by several types of fungi. Mildew is mold growing on fabric
However, within residential spaces mold and mildew are a major hazard, as they cause health-related problems. To identify whether a spot in the indoor spaces is mold or mildew, you can use the following information.

Examine Infestation Sites

Mold and mildew tend to thrive in damp or moistened surfaces. However, there is a slight difference in their infestation sites. Mold is more commonly found in areas where some form of organic matter is present. This includes walls made from wood, and paper products they contain cellulose and other plant resins that can attract mold.

Mildew is more common among inorganic materials like moist cement walls, cracks and fabrics. This is why despite having negligible traces of organic matter; bathrooms are largely vulnerable to mildew spores. The household variety of mildew can be found on almost every kind of artificial surface, including plastics, tile grout and metallic surfaces.

Identify Mold by Smell

It is usually observed that mold tends to present a detectable odor. Rooms harbored by mold growth for some time are very susceptible to developing an earthy odor or a stench resembling the stink emanating from rotting food. Similarly, mold found in damp, unventilated areas tends to exude a typical stale smell that is commonly seen among damp carpets or rugs.

Identify Spots by Appearance

Mildew can be easily distinguished on the basis of its typical coloration. Though this requires some patient observation, the results are quite accurate. Mildew typically has a black or dark-grayish coloration. Molds can range from being black and white to various shades of gray, green, blue and even dull red hues.

If you struggle to identify a spot on the basis of coloration alone, try to observe the texture of the spot. Most varieties of mildew have a characteristic, powdery or velvety appearance.

The quantity of mold fragments and spores needed to cause health problems varies from person to person. Besides inhalation, people can become exposed to mold through skin contact and eating moldy food. Even in non-allergic (non-sensitized) people, mold exposure can cause irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Please be careful when dealing with any kind of mold or mildew. If you are not sure what you have or if it is dangerous you should call a mold professional.

2017-02-09T17:54:47+00:00 October 23rd, 2010|Blog|
Call 866-543-3257