Holiday Mold

We get an increasing number of frantic calls during the holiday season from people complaining of mold growing all over their living rooms and they don’t know why. Before you have to spend money on Mold Removal read whats below.

Well here are a few possible reasons:

  • Decorations were brought in from a contaminated basement or attic and the mold came with it. If you keep your holiday decorations in an area that is prone to mold you need to take some precautions. The easiest is to store items in plastic containers that can be wiped clean before bringing them in to the main part of the house.
  • A natural Christmas tree is alive. Before, and even after, it was cut, it was “living” out doors surrounded animals and insects on or around it. Trees also have various molds growing on them and they reproduce with pollens. Before you bring a live tree into your home, hose it down. And remember not to keep it or more than couple of weeks. Remove it as soon as possible. The other option is an artificial tree, but remember to be careful about how and where it’s stored (see above).
  • Firewood is often contaminated with mold and mildew. It was a growing tree with insects and animals living on and in it. Someone chopped it down and stacked it outside to dry. The inside of the wood doesn’t have the same defense against mold as the bark and mold begins to grow on the exposed areas. Be careful of this before you bring the wood into your home and stack it by your fireplace. The answer to this is to use Duraflame logs, or leave the wood outside and bring it in as needed.

I hope this helps you keep your home mold free during the holidays and I would like to wish everyone a safe and prosperous New Year.

2016-11-14T13:33:31+00:00 December 22nd, 2011|Blog|
Call 866-543-3257